According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), every 14 minutes someone dies in an automobile crash, every 12 seconds an injury occurs and every 5 seconds a crash occurs. Many of these incidents occur during the workday or during the commute to and from work. Most accidents are minor, such as sideswipes and rear-end hits. But some, such as head-on auto collisions can be fatal.
Even if you consider yourself to be an expert driver you can still be at risk for a car accident. Here are 8 tips to help reduce auto collisions.
- Plan Ahead: Traffic in New York City can be hectic. It’s a good idea to plan your route ahead of time. Be alert for changing traffic conditions and possible accidents.
- Don’t Tailgate: Leave a car lengths space between you and the car in front of you – especially after large trucks. In case the car in front of you stops short you have enough time to react. This is a major cause of auto collisions.
- Know Your Car: Most cars have blind spots and being aware of this ahead of time will limit your chances of a collision. Adjust your side and rearview mirrors to provide a clear view. When merging into another lane always physically turn and look into the lane.
- Car Maintenance: Keep your vehicle in good shape. This includes regular oil changes, tire rotations and being properly inflated, clean and clear windows, etc. It is important to make sure the brakes and tires are always ready for the road.
- Don’t Use Your Cell Phone: Taking your eyes off the road for a few seconds can cause an accident. If you do need to use your phone make sure you have the Bluetooth activated since New York is a hands-free state.
- Avoid the Fast Lane: More accidents occur in the left lane. Using other lanes gives you more options to move out of the way if you encounter a collision.
- State Laws: If you are a New York City resident you should know there are no right turns on red. In this case, you will want to watch out for visitors who might not know this law.
- Program your GPS: To avoid having to type in the route while driving, program your destination ahead of time. This will allow you to keep your eyes on the road while driving.
If you have been involved in an automobile accident contact The Cochran Firm New York today. Learn more about auto accident attorneys.