What are the Laws for Filing Wrongful Death When a Child Dies?


Today’s parenting situations are more challenging than those of traditionally married couples.  With more children being born out of wedlock, paternity suits may be necessary to establish parentage.  Couples frequently separate and even more often than separating, they divorce.  So, the question arises — which parent can file a wrongful death lawsuit when a child dies?  And how do compensation awards work?

Georgia law considers homicide as all cases in which the death of a human being results from a crime, from criminal or other negligence, or from property which has been defectively manufactured, whether or not as the result of negligence.  Surviving family members have the legal right to recover damages in homicide cases.  Under Georgia Annotated Code § 19-7-1, until children reach the age of 18, they are under their parent’s control.  Even so, the parents are not the only parties who can recover for a child’s wrongful death.  In a child homicide, the order of priority for damage recovery includes:

  • The deceased child's spouse (if there is one)
  • The deceased child's child (if there is one)
  • The deceased child's parent or parents —
    • Jointly if the parents live together and are not divorced
    • If divorced, the judge adjudicates how the award is divided between parents through a hearing

A child born out-of-wedlock does not bar recovery for parents.

Georgia law gives juries considerable latitude in determining wrongful death awards.  Consequently, your lawyer's skills play an important role when presenting the case to the jury.  Gather important information and thoughtfully choose the right lawyer.

The Cochran Firm Atlanta brings excellent credentials and experience to the table when protecting our clients’ rights to compensation.

If you want to file an Injury & accident claim, contact our Accident Lawyers, who have expertise in Auto Accident, Car Accident, Brain Injury, Personal Injury, Premises LiabilityTruck Accident, Police Misconduct and other areas of practice. Call The Cochran Firm Atlanta toll-free at (404) 222-9922, or send us your queries using this inquiry form.

Recent News

Read More Articles
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram