Car Accident Lawyers

In many cases handled by The Cochran Firm's accident lawyers, there are many causes of the accident in question. Sometimes another driver is at-fault, sometimes it's a company located hundreds of miles from the scene of the accident and sometimes the fault lies with a government entity that has failed in its obligations.

Defective roads are prominent examples of governmental negligence, but they're far from the only examples. There are many ways in which a governmental entity can commit a mistake that results in an injury to an innocent person.

At The Cochran Firm, our accident lawyers have experience with a broad range of personal injury case types. We understand the relevant laws and how to win justice and compensation for our injured clients. Our accident lawyers will be familiar with the laws in your area. We'll advise you based on the course of action that is best for you and your interests.

If you've been hurt and need an experienced accident lawyer, please call The Cochran Firm today at 1-800-843-3476 for a free consultation.

Can I Sue The Government?

Most people are familiar with the old saying, “You can't fight city hall.” So it's reasonable to ask whether or not it's even possible to pursue legal action against a government entity.

The answer is somewhat complicated and depends on the state in which you live. The concept of “sovereign immunity” largely immunizes states from lawsuits. There are exceptions, but they are limited and often do not apply to personal injury torts.
On the other hand, the Supreme Court has held that county and local governments do not possess sovereign immunity from suits in a federal court. However, certain states still place restrictions on how and under what circumstances citizens can sue governmental entities. In California, for instance, you have to file a claims form with the agency or entity in question and wait for them to decide if the lawsuit is legal under state law. And Texas limits the amount you can recover in a suit against the state, county or city governments.

Complicated Cases
Let's stipulate that you do live in a state and municipality where suing the government for your injury is allowed. What's next?

As you might expect, these cases are quite complex. If you're hurt in an accident caused by a defective road, who is to blame? The government entity responsible for maintaining the road or the private company contracted to build the road?

The Cochran Firm's accident lawyers will answer these questions. We'll listen to your story at a free initial consultation, investigate your accident and make sure we exhaust every avenue possible on your behalf.

If you've been hurt and need an experienced accident lawyer, please contact The Cochran Firm today.