Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim

If you have lost a loved one in an accident, you may be entitled to seek compensation for both economic and noneconomic damages. The best way to determine if you are eligible to file suit is through a one-on-one consultation with an experienced wrongful death claim attorney.

To schedule your free consultation with one of the wrongful death attorneys at The Cochran Firm, please use our office locator to find the branch closest to you or call (800) 843-3476 to be put in touch with a lawyer in your area.

Are You Eligible to File Suit?

In most states, immediate family members can file a wrongful death lawsuit. This includes:

  • Spouses and legal partners
  • Children, including stepchildren and adopted children
  • Parents

Under certain circumstances, grandparents, siblings, and other family members who relied on the victim for support can file suit as well. Depending on the state in which you live, multiple plaintiffs may be party to the case. Alternately, the court may appoint an executor of the estate to dispense any awarded damages to eligible family members.

Being a party to a wrongful death lawsuit and being a beneficiary of an award is not the same thing. To protect your best interests and secure the total compensation you will need to carry on, it is best to have an experienced attorney on your side.

Our wrongful death lawyers are dedicated to helping surviving family members get justice. We will work to protect you against predatory insurance companies and fight tirelessly for your rights to help secure for you the settlement you deserve.

If you are in need of a wrongful death claim attorney, please contact The Cochran Firm and schedule your free consultation today. With multiple office locations throughout the United States, we are better able to serve families living in all areas of the country.